Form Center

By signing in or creating an account, some fields will auto-populate with your information and your submitted forms will be saved and accessible to you.

Building Permit Application (BP)


    1. Application - This application is to be filled out online at - FORMS - Planning & Zoning - Building Permit Application. If you are unable to do this online, please fill out the below information and we will then fill out the online application. This document will be deemed your electronic signature when we fill it out and it will send you a copy. YOU MAY UPLOAD THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS TO THE ONLINE APPLICATION or SEND by EMAIL to

    2. Building Plans - (Drawn to scale plans - garages, decks, and pole buildings may be hand-drawn) Foundation plans w/ rebar schedule and steps in elevation Floorplans with dimensions and labeled rooms Wall cross-sections Elevations (Straight on view of the structure) Stairs and decks

    3. Roof Truss Plans- Must be engineered by SD state-licensed engineer (Homemade trusses are NOT allowed) Ground Snow Load (GSL) shall be listed on the plans. GSL is based on your elevation, the elevation is found by using the Lawrence County GIS mapping.

    4. Septic Design or Proof of the last pumping - for new residences or bedroom additions

    5. Site Plan - A drawing showing the following, an existing plat may be used to show detail: All property lines and lot dimensions All proposed and existing structures, wells, septic, drain fields, waterways, driveways, utilities, easements and R.O.W.’s. All proposed/existing setbacks (measured in ft. from the foundation) to all structures (this includes decks and covered patios) and road right-of-ways (inclusive of Section Lines; private and public right of ways; driveways, etc) Setbacks are noted under each zoning district as they differ depending on zoning.

    6. Retaining Walls -structural data is to be submitted for walls over 4’ in height.

    COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS: Site Plan- Same as above with the addition of parking, signage, and drainage.

    All commercial post frames, steel or pole buildings must be SD engineered. Plans from Building Centers that service SD will have a license to do so in the state.

    1. You may need a Wildfire Mitigation or Survivable Space Plan if the lot was approved/platted on or after Sept 15, 2010.
    2. If the structure is located in or near the Floodplain, you may be required to submit an elevation certificate or detailed flood study and as-built elevations. (Must speak to the Floodplain Administrator)
    3. If you are building near or on agricultural land you are receiving notification of the following: “You are hereby notified that the property on which you are constructing a structure is in or near agricultural land, agricultural operations or agricultural processing facilities or operations. You may be subject to inconvenience or discomfort from lawful agricultural or agricultural processing facility operations. Agricultural operations may include, but are not limited to, the following: cultivation, harvesting, and storage of crops; livestock production; ground rig or aerial application of pesticides or herbicides; the application of fertilizer, including animal waste; the operation of machinery; the application of irrigation water; and other accepted and customary agricultural activities conducted in accordance with Federal, State, and County laws. Discomforts and inconveniences may include; but are not limited to: noise, odors, fumes, dust, smoke burning, vibrations, insects, rodents, and/or the operation of machinery (including aircraft) during a 24-hour period. If you live near an agricultural area, you should be prepared to accept such inconveniences or discomforts as a normal and necessary aspect of living in an area with a strong rural character and an active agricultural sector. You are also notified that there is the potential for agricultural or agricultural processing operations to expand.”
    4. Lawrence County Invasive Species Department - Dave Heck, Supervisor - 605-642-1976 SDCL 38-22-16 (Infested land declared public nuisance--Protective operations by secretary. If any owner of weed or pest infested land fails to rid the land of such infestation and the secretary of agriculture finds that such infestation is a menace to neighboring lands or to the state or its people he may declare such infested land to constitute a public nuisance and may enter such infested areas and perform such protective operations as may be necessary.)
    5. State Wiring Permit requirements and directions to obtain a permit log onto
    6. Homeowners Plumbing Permit requirements and directions to obtain a permit log onto
  3. All of the following contractors shall be licensed in Lawrence County prior to any work commencing: general contractors; excavators; concrete; carpenters; plumbers; electrical; and mechanical.
  4. Only one residence is allowed per lot.
  5. What is the total acreage which you own?
  6. Are you located in or near a floodplain?*
    Flood Hazard Area: April 17, 2012All building permits requested that have any part of the property in a floodplain may be required to also obtain a floodplain development permit (FPD).
  7. Water*
  8. Access*
  9. Sewer*
  10. Square Footages of Building

    You are required to break down square footages of your project as listed here (if applicable) If it does not apply to your project ENTER NA.


    You are required to have setbacks from the structure to all lot lines. If you are within 50' you may be required to do a site plan survey by a surveyor. (This also includes to any public rights-of-ways; private roads/easements or Section Lines.) If it does not apply to your building project ENTER NA.


    You may upload documents if they are in one file to each type or if having issues please submit the application, but then email attachments to  You will need to put in the SUBJECT LINE: Parcel # and Last Name of Owner.

    Pay over the telephone with a Credit Card (2.5% fee) or Make checks payable to Lawrence County Treasurer’s Office. Fees are figured based on the square footage and rates already approved. (All returned checks will be charged a $40 fee). It may take up to 5 days for the building permit to be issued.The permit becomes null and void if the work or construction authorized is not commenced within 180 days, or if work or construction is suspended or abandoned for 180 days at any time after work is commenced within one year from date of issue.
    ALL INSPECTIONS NEED A 24 HOUR NOTICE. All property shall undergo the following inspections: Setbacks/Footings & Foundation, Framing, and Final. As of Feb. 1, 2014, all structures in Lawrence County shall obtain a Certificate of Occupancy. All work shall be done in accord with the approved plans, except where such approval is in conflict with other codes. The approved plan not be changed or modified without prior approval of the Building Official.

    It is the responsibility of the permittee to obtain the required inspections. Failure to notify this department that the work is ready for inspection may necessitate the removal of some of the construction materials at the owner's expense in order to perform such inspection.
  15. Electronic Signature Agreement
    By checking the "I agree" box below, you agree and acknowledge that 1) your application will not be signed in the sense of a traditional paper document, 2) by signing in this alternate manner, you authorize your electronic signature to be valid and binding upon you to the same force and effect as a handwritten signature, and 3) you may still be required to provide a traditional signature at a later date 4) I hereby certify that I have read this application and know the same to be true and correct; that I give permission to enter property for inspections; all provisions of laws and ordinances governing this type of work will be followed; the granting of this permit does not presume to give authority to violate or cancel the provisions of any other state or local law regulating construction.
  17. Leave This Blank:

  18. This field is not part of the form submission.