Treasurer.jpg (3075 bytes)

P.O Box 394
Deadwood, SD 57732
Treasurer: Ms. Debora Tridle  
1st. Deputy: Ms. Sally Atkinson
Deputy: Ms. Carleen Brownlow
Deputy: Ms. Julia Adams
Deputy: Ms. Laurie Marshall
Deputy: Ms. Linda Quenzer
Deputy: Ms. Gail Derby
Pay Taxes On-line or By Phone
Surplus Land Sale Information
Tax Information
Application for Title & Registration
Affidavit of Vehicle Ownership
ATV Temporary Permits
State DMV Forms

official_payments_credit_cards.gif (2461 bytes)


IMPORTANT: As of 09/18/2017, anyone with out-of-state ID or driver's license has to have physical proof of Social Security Number.

Real Property Tax Information

Real Property &  Mobile Home taxes are due either in the Treasurers office or postmarked by April 30th each year for 1st half taxes, and October 31st for 2nd  half taxes. For your convenience, we also have a tax drop box at the south end of Administrative Annex building that will be open until midnight of April 30th. Tax amounts due are not listed on-line. Please either check your tax notices or call our office for the correct amount if you are uncertain what amount is due.

Fee Increases

Effective July 1, 2016 the following fee increases will take place statewide:

Title fees: $10.00
Lien notation fee: $10.00
Lawrence Co. Wheel tax: $2.00 per tire

Change to ATV Title Procedures

Effective July 1, 2016, excise tax on all ATV purchases will be paid in the treasurer’s office. You will now be required to pay 4% excise tax at the treasurer’s office as opposed to sales tax that was previously paid at the dealership. The state will no longer recognize casual sales between individuals as tax exempt. They will also be subject to 4% tax.

Substitute Plates

Effective July 1, 2008 license plates no longer stay with a vehicle when it is sold. The owner keeps the plate and can reuse them when a new or used vehicle is purchased. DO NOT PUT THE PLATES ON THE NEW VEHICLE BEFORE TRANSFERING YOUR TITLE IN THE TREASURER’S OFFICE. Your plates are not legally attached to that vehicle until we reassign the plates and give you a new registration. If you put plates on a vehicle before they are reassigned by the treasurer’s office, law enforcement can cite you for substitute plates and may arrest you.

Special Interest Plates

Beginning July 1, 2016, individuals may apply for a special interest plate which will allow them to drive on just a rear license plate. You must apply for this plate like any other specialty plate. You will be required to supply the treasurer’s office with the true and actual mileage on your vehicle at the time of application. This is a restrictive plate, as you are only allowed to drive your vehicle for 6,000 miles each calendar year. Each year when you renew your tags, you are required to supply us with the current mileage. If you exceed 6,000 miles in that calendar year, you will be required to forfeit your special interest plate on this and any other vehicles you have for 3 years. The cost for this plate is regular registration plus $25 per year and $5 initial mailing fee.


It is that time of year, so just want to remind you of legislation that took effect in July that provides for an annual permit (issued by GF&P) for a motorcycle that can be converted and used as a snowmobile.

32-20A-25.   Permit to operate motorcycle as a snowmobile. Any resident owner who has titled a motorcycle which has been modified to comply with the definition of a snowmobile for use as a snowmobile on a state snowmobile trail or area established pursuant to the provisions of chapter 41-19 may purchase an annual permit valid from December first to March thirty-first, inclusive, for a fee of twenty dollars. The permit shall be affixed to the motorcycle on the right side of the unit and shall be clearly visible. The Department of Game, Fish and Parks shall collect the annual permit fee imposed by this section and shall deposit the fees in the snowmobile trails fund established by  32-5-9.2.

A motorcycle/UTV can be converted to use as snowmobile and used on the South Dakota snowmobile trails with the following mandatory equipment requirements:

  • Ski on the front of unit
  • Endless belt on the back of the unit
  • The unit can not exceed 48 inches in width
  • The unit can not exceed 1,400 lbs.
  • Has all other equipment required of snowmobiles

The trail permit and vehicle inspection, which is required, can only be done at the South Dakota State Forestry Office located at 11361 Nevada Gulch (Terry Peak Road outside of Lead) Monday — Friday 7:30am to 4pm Phone # 606-584-3896

If you have any questions, please contact our office.

Telephone: (605)-578-1862
Fax: (605)-722-6216

The Treasurer’s Office is best known by the public for issuing motor vehicle licenses and collecting property taxes. The Treasurer is responsible for collecting all taxes; (real estate, mobile home taxes, and special assessments); for the County, Cities, and School.

In addition to collecting taxes and other forms of revenue, the Treasurer assists senior and disabled citizen file applications for property tax relief - applications available January 2 at the Treasurer’s Office, which have to be returned to the Treasurers Office by April 1.

The Treasurer’s Office titles and licenses all new and used motor vehicles, motorcycles, ATV’s, trailers, snowmobiles and boats. Also releases and notaries motor vehicle liens and assists taxpayers in applying for duplicate motor vehicle title and permits.

The Treasurer receives and accounts for all revenue collected by all County offices and is responsible for managing the County’s investments. In addition, the Treasurer is responsible for submitting monthly remittance payments to the State as required by law.

In conjunction with the State Departments of Revenue and Labor, the Treasurer issues distress warrants to the Sheriffs office in the event of non-payment of state sales taxes or unemployment insurance.

Treasurer’s office also sells South Dakota hunting and fishing licenses for resident and non-resident. Photo Id is required.

When you pay by check, you authorize us to use its information to process an electronic funds transfer (EFT). When we use information from your check to make an electronic fund transfer, funds may be withdrawn from you account as soon as the same day you make your payment.

social_networking_small.jpg (8822 bytes)Click to sign up for Code Red notifications
Copyright 2014 Lawrence County, South Dakota  All Rights Reserved